Appointments can still be made for other days and times. Appointments are not made for Sundays. To make an appointment call us at 208-734-7959.
Preregistration is required. To find out more about each of the classes and to register click on the "Find out more" button below.
October 1 (Saturday, 1-2 pm)
Cost - free
This class has been canceled.
October 4 (Tuesday 7-8 pm)
Cost - free
The Orton Botanical Garden’s (the OBG) Garden Specialist oversees dailyand seasonal outdoor horticultural displays, while promoting positive staff, volunteer, and visitor experiences. The Garden Specialist leads the design, installation and maintenance of ornamental plants. This position requires the ability to apply standard, and specialized horticulture practices, including and not limited to landscape/garden design, xeriscape irrigation systems, planting, propagation, weeding, pruning and watering.
The position needs knowledge and understanding of drought tolerant plants, including yucca, cacti, and Idaho native plants. The Garden Specialist must understand and teach others how the OBG demonstrates the ways plants can support and protect pollinators and other wildlife. Responsibilities include routine supervision of gardening staff, and volunteers, and working or interaction with other OBG members and the OBG Board of Directors. The Garden Specialist will provide experience, expertise, and professionalism, as a teacher and coach to staff, directors, volunteers, and visitors.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Leads individual or teams of gardeners, volunteers and/or visitors
· Collaborates with the other OBG members when appropriate
· Contributes to board member meetings and annual budget planning, as needed
· Coordinates the plant recording and labeling process, with other OBG input
· Engages in workshops and Garden events as needed
· Manages and trains new staff gardeners
· Assists with the daily management and monitoring of gardening team
· Plans and schedules seasonal maintenance
· Oversees the safety of all work by the gardening team and volunteers
· Assures that all tools and machinery are in clean, safe, unbroken condition
· Ensures that the OBG is clean and litter-free
· Performs weekend duties when necessary, and conducts Garden tours
Salary Range, Working Hours
· The salary range is $18-$26 an hour depending on qualifications
· The position will be half time initially, but as resources allow, it may become full time.
· Hours will be flexible, but as the garden is open on Fridays and Saturdays May - September, there will be frequent work on both of those days.
An IRS approved 501(c)(3) non profit botanical garden.
It demonstrates drought tolerant plants to include many cacti, yuccas, & Idaho native plants.
is on the northerly fringes of the Great Basin Desert in Twin Falls, Idaho
A 62-page visitor's guide is available for sale at the Twin Falls Visitor Center, 2015 Neilsen Point Place in Twin Falls (at Perrine Bridge). It can also be purchased at the Garden and online by clicking the button below. Garden members can buy the guide at a reduced rate at the garden during our open hours and during our May plant sale.
The garden is supported primarily by donations . Your support and contributions will enable us to meet our goals for the garden. If you would like to donate, please use the button below.
Sign up to hear from us about specials, sales, and events.